Group & Workplace Volunteer
Carolina Tiger Rescue is a 501(c)3 nonprofit wildlife sanctuary whose mission is saving and protecting wild cats in captivity and in the wild.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Carolina Tiger Rescue is making changes to our procedures for our volunteers and our guest. The first change you will see is that everyone, including volunteers and guests, will be required to wear a cloth mask. The cloth mask can be a surgical mask or a homemade mask but the masks must cover your nose and your mouth. You will be required to wear your mask for your entire time at Carolina Tiger Rescue. This requirement is not only for the safety of our guests and volunteers but also for our animals. COVID-19 is able to be transmitted to big cats from humans. While we are excited to have you out to learn about our amazing animals, their health and safety is our first priority.
We have also reduced workgroup size to no more than 10 participants at a time. If your group consists of more than 10 people, you’re welcome to reserve both a morning and afternoon shift to accommodate your larger group.
We look forward to receiving your workgroup request and hope to see you soon!
Are you and your coworkers or friends looking to give back in a unique way? Come join Carolina Tiger Rescue for a morning or afternoon workgroup experience!
Workgroup opportunities are available to anyone 16 years of age or older, and for groups with as few as five individuals.
Workgroups commonly assist with projects such as clearing vines and brush from enclosures, building or dismantling fences, digging trenches for drainage, or other light construction tasks. Your exact project will depend on our particular needs at the time, available tools and materials, and progress made by other groups. All members of your group should be prepared for moderately strenuous physical work in a fairly rustic, natural, outdoor environment.
Shift Times and Scheduling
The morning workgroup shift is from 8:30am-1:00pm, and the afternoon workgroup shift is from 12:30pm-5:00pm. Each shift includes a complimentary one-hour tour of the sanctuary.
Workgroups are booked on a first come, first serve basis. If you have a particular date that you are interested in, we recommend contacting us at least two months in advance.
Morning Workgroup Itinerary
Arrival Time: 8:30 AM
Sanctuary Tour: 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM
Work Project: 10:00 AM – 1 PM
Afternoon Workgroup Itinerary
Arrival Time: 12:30 PM
Sanctuary Tour: 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM
Work Project: 2:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Things to Know
The following clothing is required and necessary when working at our facility:
- Closed-toed shoes or boots
-Closed-toed sandals, slip-on shoes, flats, or other similar footwear, do not provide adequate protection from fire ants and other natural hazards
- Long pants – please do not wear shorts
– Shorts and capris do not provide adequate protection from poison ivy and other natural hazards
- Short sleeve shirts are allowed, but please bring a long sleeve shirt as well because we frequently handle poison ivy
- Please do not wear clothing with inappropriate logos or graphics on them
- Sports bras must be worn with tank tops
- No bare midriffs
- Please tie up long hair and take off dangling jewelry, as animals might be attracted to it
We ask that each member of your group bring an item from the following donation list:
- Blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, pear, raspberries (for our animals who eat fruit) ** they do not care for strawberries or melon
- Toilet paper (4-pack or higher)**
- Box of disposable latex gloves (sizes M / L )**
- Ziploc storage bags, quart or gallon size
- Trash bags, 33+ or 55 gallon size
- Paper towels (3-pack or higher)**
- Bug spray (Deep Woods brand, Insect Repellent V) **
- Sunscreen (SPF 30+ UVA, UVB)
- Vine clipper (small, hand-held) **
- Hay fork (long handle)
- Printing paper (8.5 x 11)
- Gift cards (any value) for Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Performance Auto, or any office supply store
- Cash donations (any amount) are also welcome
(** indicates items that we currently need the most.)